Wednesday 23 November 2011

occupying (my kitchen)

Been on Facebook lately? Then you won't have failed to notice the internet's latest meme - “Casually Pepper Spray Everything Cop” - famous works of art photoshopped to include the image of the pepper spray-wielding UC Davis police officer. His presence in these iconic paintings is absurdly incongruous and profoundly disturbing. And for that reason they're brilliant, because that's exactly how I felt when I watched the video footage. I'd say a degree of outrage is being expressed in these images. They're the visual, viral equivalent of the protest song.
More on the American (based in Edinburgh apparently) artist who started it here and here.
P.S. I'm also quite taken with this poster, created by sympathetic graphic designers after the OWS Zuccotti Park eviction. As someone texted me recently, 'mon the 99%.
P.P.S. Nonplussed by the current crisis of capitalism? (I know I am). Then here's a theory, complete with cartoons...



No comments: